We have lots of sheep at Acorn Farm, including a ram. We usually have plenty of lambs to see during the spring!
- An adult male is called a tup or a ram and an adult female is a ewe. A newborn is called a lamb.
- A group of sheep is called a flock.
- A sheep is pregnant for 5 months. Twins are common and occasionally a sheep will have triplets or quadruplets.
- Sheep fat is known as tallow and can be used to make candles and soap.
- The removal of a sheep’s fleece is known as shearing.
- Wool from different breeds can be used for different things, e.g. wool from Herdwick sheep is very coarse and hardwearing and is often used to make carpets.
- Sheep only have teeth on their lower jaw. Their upper jaw is a hard toothless pad.
- Sheep have poor eyesight but an excellent sense of hearing.
- Sheep have 4 stomachs!